Paul McCartney, One of a Kind Legend

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paul McCartney, One of a Kind Legend

Kacie Brannan and Autumn Pyka attend several concerts during the ACL event.

Kacie Brannan, Co-Editor

Three scorching days, 350 acres with over 100 famous artists, and more than 400,000 people to work your way through – that is what ACL is all about. It may not sound like the weekend of a lifetime, but once I jammed out to my first artist of the day, I was hooked. I took on Austin City Limits with my friend Autumn Pyka, a junior at Fredericksburg High School. We arrived at the park, jittery and full of excitement. After a short wait, a quick bag check and a gasp of breath, we ran inside to face the festival.

Khalid, Lil Wayne, Brockhampton and X Ambassadors were amongst the amazing lineup of artists I witnessed, and although I was privileged to see these performers, the highlight of my weekend was the world-famous Paul McCartney. Well-known to every generation, McCartney began his lasting career with the Beatles, a boy-band from Liverpool that became the most influential group in music history.

There was no doubt I wasn’t the only one excited to see this man perform. In fact, my dad joined me in my weekend escapade to see the man he grew up listening to. However, he was privileged with the luxuries of VIP – cool air, fine dining, and a front row seat to McCartney himself, while I was left to squeeze through a crowd of thousands to get at least close enough to hear.

McCartney’s set ran close to two hours and thirty minutes with 31 songs on his set. “A Hard Day’s Night,” “Let Me Roll It,” “Maybe I’m Amazed,” and “Hey Jude” were among some of the songs on his set. Not a single song was unknown or unpopular. At 76 years old, McCartney doesn’t have the fire he had back in 1970, yet he still manages to go a whole performance without a single break or single drink of water. Impressive? I think so.

After a magical two hours, I was spent. But, it was well worth it. Not many people my age can say they’ve seen such a legend. I met up with my dad after the show, excitement evident on both our faces. As we walked out of the park, we babbled on and on about the concert, recounting each other’s experiences. I’m glad I was able to share this experience with my dad despite not being right next to each other during the show. This festival is something him and I will definitely cherish for a long time and will reminisce for years to come.