Mia Torres Scores 1500 Career Points

Mia+Torres+embraces+her+mother+after+being+awarded+her+plaque+and+ball+for+1500+career+points.+

Mia Torres embraces her mother after being awarded her plaque and ball for 1500 career points.

Caitie Huff , Staff

The stands are full. Every student is standing up, buzzing with excitement. Mia. Mia. Mia. The crowd chants. Senior Mia Torres steps up to the free throw line. 1499 points. One to go. She takes a deep breath. Dribbles. Once. Twice. She sets the ball and shoots a seemingly easy, nothing-but-net shot. The crowd erupts in cheer. Everyone is on their feet with signs and balloons with Mia’s name, overcome with joy. If anyone deserves to hit 1500 career points, it’s Mia Torres.

“She has paved a path for players below her to work hard to achieve,” Coach Carrie Grona said. “She is leaving a legacy, not because she hit this huge milestone but because of the teammate she has always been.”

Mia Torres hit 1500 career points for the Battlin’ Billies in a home game against Wimberley on Jan. 29. Torres knocked down a free throw to unknowingly hit her 1500-point milestone. Her shot was answered with every player, student, parent and teacher on their feet with signs, balloons and cheers.

“Mia’s accomplishment is a testament to her hard work and dedication to her team,” Assistant Coach Kristy Danz said. “She is resilient, durable and has a heart of gold.”

Mia has started on the girls’ varsity basketball team every year since she was a freshman. Mia is a point guard and shooting guard on the team as well as one of the captains. She controls the game on both the offensive and defensive sides of the court, leading the team in points, assists, rebounds and steals every game. The team depends on Mia, and Mia depends on the team.

“This is an accomplishment not only for Mia, but for all of the basketball players who have been her teammates over the past four years,” Danz said. “She has had many teammates pass her the ball, pick her up when she has been down, and cheer along with her when she has had good games.”

Mia says that throughout the years she has become more confident in herself and in her teammates. Her basketball career has had highs and lows, but overall her time playing basketball at FHS has been meaningful and fun.

“The night I hit my 1500th point was quite the whirlwind,” Mia said. “It was pretty emotional having the whole community, family and friends there supporting me.”