Alumni Passes on High School Experience

Allen Henke, uncle to Olivia and Madilyn Findley, is proud to be one of the first Fredericksburg High School students to graduate in 1965 at a new location.

Olivia Findley, Staff

In September 1965, a young man wanders around the new Fredericksburg High School campus. With a larger piece of school property, the school didn’t seem as crowded as it had been at the old location. As a senior in this new and spacious place, he felt proud to walk with his head up and to wonder about the world he would soon explore.

Allen Henke, now 72 and retired, was one of the first seniors to graduate from the newly located Fredericksburg High School. There, he had been actively involved in the Spanish Club, band and track. He hadn’t known quite what was in store for him, but he knew that World War II would definitely play a part in his life story.

Henke liked being involved in extracurricular events. He remembers many memories inside and out of his electives.

“Being enrolled in the Spanish Club really helped me get to know other people, and as a senior that can be important for college practice,” Henke said. “Band and track also got me involved and helped high school seem more fun.”

Henke enjoyed his time in high school. He believed it to be the most care-free and laid-back time of his life.

“Having fun with my friends and all that stuff made it a good time,” Henke said. “You don’t have to go to work, naturally you have to study, but it was actually a good time. The last time before you have to go to work, make a living.”

At this time, Henke had no worries of drugs or anything of that matter. He had a care-free youth full of fun and easy times.

“My friends and I would skip school and go swimming,” Henke said. “We called ourselves the official FHS swim team. High school was different than it is now.”

Although high school was different in 1965, some things still haven’t changed. Sizes of classrooms have stayed around the same.

“The amount of people in the classroom really hasn’t changed, at least not for the main classes,” Henke said. “There are more rooms and buildings though, that has changed.”

Henke also had a few words of wisdom for the upcoming freshmen. Although he knows that he can’t relive life, he wishes that the calm days before college would have lasted a little longer.

“High school is fun. Don’t be overcome by pressure,” Henke said. “The pressure will come when it is time, but don’t forget to have fun and enjoy your high school years.”