Students Go to Work for a Grade  

Mariah Boyd, Staff

For seniors this year, the in-and-out schedule is no longer happening, much to many students’ disappointment. But you may look around campus during sixth or seventh period and see some students driving out early. Why is this? It’s because of a special class at our school known as the career program. 

Asher Weatherford is a senior currently in the career program and likes the class itself almost as much as leaving school early. 

“Mr. Cormier is great,” Weatherford said. “He teaches us how to better ourselves in the workplace while keeping it interesting.” 

This particular class is very unique compared to others. It enables students to take time off from school without penalties and go to work. In this class, students begin learning about what everyone is striving to have one day: a career. Students are able to discuss different jobs and the aspects that come with each one, figuring out exactly what’s needed to have a successful job. Then, students are permitted to leave campus to work on their own in the real world. Whether this is at Clear River or Whataburger or any other workplace in town, students are able to go to work early through this program.  

Senior Cameron Tubbs enjoys the ability to balance out her school life with her job as she prepares for college.

“I think career prep is a good program for high school students,” Tubbs said. “Not only are we able to go off campus and work at the end of the day, but we can learn skills, like how to interview, for later on in life.”

Students normally miss the last two periods of the day by having it completely dedicated to their job. Some are able to leave at 6th, but the most common time is 7thor 8thperiod. 

“I enjoy teaching FHS career programs because they combine academics with real world applications. Students learn how to create resumes and cover letters, search for employment opportunities, complete job applications, and how to conduct themselves during interviews,” Cormier said. “Also, throughout the year, students have the opportunity to hear from a variety of guest speakers. This year’s speakers include the owner of  local area McDonalds, personnel from the Whataburger corporate office, recruiters from the U.S. Navy, and the Manager of Stakeholder Relations for Youth Entrepreneurs. Youth Entrepreneurs is a new program being introduced this year that teaches students the values and skills necessary to create their own business.” 

“I recommend that working students take the Career Prep class because of the real world skills and applications that are taught,” Cormier said. “Before anyone can begin a job, they must first land the job. Job searching, resume building, and application completion are emphasized, along with interviewing skills such as how to dress, body language, how to answer questions and which questions to ask. The class prepares students to enter the job market and stay employed.”