Future Business Leaders of America

Ella Grandjean

Students often think of high school clubs as organizations for just good times with friends and acts of service. At Fredericksburg High School, every club has an inviting and involving aspect. While this club offers this as well, it particularly stands out at FHS. Future Business Leaders of America goes beyond just having a good time and helping out your community. 

FBLA doesn’t just focus on the standard rules and regulations of regular clubs.

According to co-president Zoe Maurer, “FBLA helps high school students prepare for careers in business through academic competitions, leadership development and educational programs.” 

Members are able to automatically compete at the state level, which is held in Galveston every year. If placed high enough at state, members will be allowed to compete at the national level in Chicago, Illinois. FBLA also attends conferences, but the dates have not been set yet for this 2021-2022 school year.

“You do not have to be in business classes to join FBLA. It is open to anyone and everyone, and there is a competition waiting for you,” Maurer said.

In FBLA, students can compete in competitions from broadcast journalism to business financial planning and publication design. There are over 250,00 members in FBLA nationwide and members receive exclusive discounts and enhanced benefits on travel, education and more.

These discounts and scholarship opportunities include: various amounts of money awarded to your rank at the competition in which you excel. Aside from this, discounts are given at certain places for money off purchases at specific places.

“My favorite part about being involved in FBLA is getting to improve my leadership skills and expand my knowledge in business at the same time,” Maurer said. 

FBLA helps students not only to develop skills and participate in community projects, it helps students grow through leadership, service and integrity. 

According to FBLA sponsor, Mr. Mitchell Thiele, “Networking and conferencing are some skills students can really develop being a part of this program. Every student has a chance to excel here.”

To join, go to the meetings that are on the first Thursday of every month at 7:30 a.m. in room 406.