Fredericksburg High School's Media Publication

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

McDonalds

Seniors Describe Aspects of Their Jobs

People usually begin their first jobs in high school. For many students at Fredericksburg High School, working is part of their regular routine. School and work may overlap, but FHS students manage to keep working and being involved in other activities.

Seniors Terah Tucker, Leonardo Diaz, Sierra Garcia, and Jayla Avila are part of the Fredericksburg workforce, and they believe their jobs have impacted their lives.

“My job has affected my life in a positive way,” Garcia said. “It has helped me be more social.”

Garcia works at the Peach Tree Inn, a motel in Fredericksburg, where she meets new people every day. Her job is “laid back,” and she sometimes has time to get some homework done there.

“Working at the Peach Tree Inn affects my social life because I meet new people everyday,” Garcia said. ”But sometimes it gets busy and a little stressful.”

Working in Fredericksburg has had a positive impact on these seniors’ lives, and they believe their jobs pay well. 

“I benefit from my job because I can get a lot of money,” Diaz said. “I can buy all the things I want like toys.”

Diaz currently works as a server at Western Edge, and his main motive is to have his own money. However, he is inspired by his job, and he said it makes him “happy.”

“I get inspired by the people I get to meet while working,” Diaz said. “They are nice and it makes me really happy.”

Even though these seniors like their jobs and benefit from them, it sometimes gets overwhelming to balance social, school, and work life.

“My life is very busy,” Avila said. “ I have band practice after school, and some Fridays I go to football games with the band.”

All four of these seniors have worked at restaurants or with customers, and they each have had different experiences.

“The main difference between my old job and my current one is that I have more responsibilities now,” Avila said. “I have more work hours, but it is good because I make more money.”

Although Avila likes her job because she earns more money, she also likes what she does.

“What I enjoy most about my job is making our customers feel welcomed,” Avila said. “I plan to stay there for a while because I like my job.”

Pleasing customers is rewarding to Avila. Similar to Avila’s experience at work, Tucker enjoys her job as a babysitter.

“My job has affected my view of life because I’ve met many different kids,” Tucker said. “I have learned how to treat them, and it’s been a fun experience. Now I know that I would love to be a mother when I grow up. I have learned so many things about kids and myself.”

She began working as a babysitter for families from her church because her mother recommended her to them. Tucker is grateful for her job and expressed that she “has so much fun.”

“The best part of my job is interacting with the kids,” Tucker said. “I get to read them books and watch movies and play.” 

Working in Fredericksburg can be fun and challenging, and the seniors of FHS are thankful for their jobs.

“ I love my job,” Leonardo Diaz said. “ I love seeing new people everyday.”