Fredericksburg High School's Media Publication

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Inside Story

Stressed for Success

Stressed For Success
Caitlin Tatsch

Whether you are a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior, the first couple weeks back to school are filled with a combination of excitement and stress. Football games, tailgates, back-to-school shopping, and reconnecting with friends are all part of the excitement of the first few weeks. Unfortunately, with a packed schedule of eight classes a day, it’s easy for students to become overwhelmed with the amount of coursework they now have on their plate after a stress-free summer. Getting back into the swing of things is harder than it seems. So how can we make the stressful process of handling classes easier?
Balancing eight classes and extracurriculars can be difficult. For many, this causes anxiety and the feeling of being overwhelmed. But with a few habits, you can overcome these feelings, stay motivated, and de-stress:

Get Organized:

Ever since my freshman year, I have kept a planner. It’s a good tool to keep track of all my schoolwork, extracurriculars, and sports, and it helps me have a clear head and manage my week. Planners are wonderful organization tools, but if you aren’t the pencil and paper type, there are apps available like Google Calendar to stay organized electronically. Becoming organized is key to becoming successful, especially at the start of the school year.

Efficient Study Habits:

Try to limit distractions. Studying near your cell phone, which constantly buzzes with notifications, isn’t the most effective way to study, since it breaks your focus and can cause unnecessary stress. Utilizing quizlets and flashcards are also effective ways to study, as they make memorizing terms and definitions quick and easy. Finally, getting a study buddy, especially during hard classes, is vital to success. Whether you are discussing coursework or sharing notes, studying with a friend can benefit you in classes and reduce stress.

Clean Study Space:

Keeping a clean study space is a habit most teenagers don’t usually think of. This method is scientifically proven to improve focus and productivity, and it can also improve sleep quality. An organized space equals an organized mind and a clearer head. Without even knowing it, some of your stress levels might be related to having a messy, unorganized space.

Obviously, these tips will not completely eliminate stress, but they should greatly reduce stress levels, especially if they are formulated at the beginning of the year. Additionally, these methods will not only help at the high school level, but throughout life.