Fredericksburg High School's Media Publication

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

Piccolina

Festive Flicks

Festive Flicks 

When it comes to holidays, there are many different ways to celebrate. Some enjoy preparing special meals and desserts, while others travel to their perfect destinations. Regardless of how you choose to spend your holidays, one of the best traditions is to watch a movie that puts you in the right spirit, whether that be for Halloween, Christmas, or even Valentine’s Day. With that being said, the following are some of my favorite festive flicks. 

How the Grinch Stole Christmas: Every December, without fail, my dad picks a night for my family to watch this classic. We always oblige him, but it actually never gets old. You couldn’t ask for a better person to play the Grinch than Jim Carrey, so I’m sure you’ll find yourself laughing at his wacky performance. Besides the comedic aspect of the movie, there’s also a great message about loving others during the holiday season. All in all, Dr. Seuss does it again with The Grinch, and if you haven’t seen it before, I highly recommend giving it a watch. 

Home Alone: It honestly seems like everyone I know loves this movie, and I’m no exception. It’s funny, it’s cute, and you can’t help but want to root for Kevin, the kid who gets left behind on his family’s trip to Paris. Although I don’t make it a point to watch this every Christmas, I still find myself sitting through this timeless comedy, often with a cup of hot chocolate. 

Hocus Pocus: Switching gears to spooky season, who doesn’t love the tale of the Sanderson sisters? When this movie starts to show up on TV channels, I know it’s officially that time of the year to bring out the fall-scented candles and take a pumpkin patch trip. I had always heard Hocus Pocus was a worthy watch, but it wasn’t until I finally decided to give it a try that I understood the hype. The small-town vibes and the early 90’s feel of the film is just perfect for a Halloween spent in Fredericksburg. 

It: This one is also for Halloween, but only if you don’t mind actually being spooked. You can always count on Stephen King to leave you slightly (or extremely) haunted after one of his works, but I will say that Pennywise isn’t too traumatizing. This was probably the first true horror film I had ever seen, and I actually enjoyed it. Most scary movies seem pretty stupid, but It has a worthy storyline that balances terror and entertainment. Out of the entire horror genre, It has to be my favorite.  

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: I could go on and on about how perfect this rom-com is. The cast, the storyline, the clothes, and the setting are all just spot-on. I definitely don’t just watch this around Valentine’s Day, but if you’re looking for a recommendation, this is the best one. Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson make the cutest on-screen couple, bringing on laughs as well as tears. I never get tired of this movie, and I’m sure I will rewatch it very soon. 

These films are definitely deserving of their popularity, and anytime you’re looking to watch a new holiday-inspired movie or rewatch a classic, it’s worth keeping these in mind.