Fredericksburg High School's Media Publication

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

Loca on Main

Embarking On The Journey: A Glimpse into First Semester Experience of Freshman

High school is one of the most important years of your life, with making new friends and living the teenage years saying “YOLO” to most decisions, all while getting ready for college. 

For freshmen, the ‘fish’ of the school, it is supposedly a harder year. According to freshmen students Zurie Lauderdale, Juliette McFarlane, Brooke Leggett, and Holly Read Hanson, freshman year has been good so far. 

“The transition from middle school to high school has been pleasing but a little difficult because it’s a lot different,” Read said. “You have much more homework in high school than you do in middle school, but the activities in high school are a lot more fun and entertaining, and the sports do a lot better here.”

These students have only been here a few weeks and have already made so many new memories. McFarlane went to decorate the freshman hallway for the homecoming contest for best hallway. 

“My favorite school event I’ve been to was the decorating for the HOCO hall,” McFarlane said. “It was fun to hang out with my friends and decorate.”

These students have only been here a few weeks and have already made so many new memories. Lauderdale went to the Homecoming game to watch the Billies win.

“The homecoming game has been the best school event so far,” Lauderdale said. “It was really fun to see everyone that has already graduated.” 

While having fun, there have been some surprises. McFarlane was nervous coming into high school about having to deal with the upperclassmen, but now that she’s here, she has made many new friends in grades above. 

“What surprised me the most so far is that the upperclassmen aren’t as mean as they are said to be,” McFarlane said. “Most of the upperclassmen are very welcoming and helpful when you need them.”

With it still being the beginning of the school year, these freshman students already have advice for incoming freshmen regarding friendships and grades.

“Some advice I would give to a future freshman is be yourself, and don’t change for anyone,” Lauderdale said. “Some people just aren’t worth the struggle.”

Read passionately states that you have to keep your grades up or you will definitely fall behind.

“One piece of advice I would give a future freshman is just stay on top of your work.” Read said. “You don’t want to fall behind and when you miss a day go in the very next day and get your work because they will move on ahead without you and you will be completely confused especially for AP courses.” 

Thinking back on middle school years, they went by so quickly, and each of us have grown so much. 

“It’s hard to see yourself growing or evolving as a person because well you’re growing and evolving in a slow process,” Leggett said. “You don’t really realize it as a person until you look back and see the changes in your life overtime.”