Fredericksburg High School's Media Publication

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

The Campus Comet

Halftime East

America’s Future 4H Leaders

If you grew up in Texas, you’ve likely heard of the 4-H program. But what you probably haven’t heard about is the world of possibilities that the 4-H program is.
    “There’s so many opportunities in 4-H. From robotics to foods and nutrition, to poultry and goats, and so much more,” Emily Grant, a Gillespie county extension agent, said. “It’s definitely not one size fits all, and it’s a program where kids can find their passion.”
    One of the most commonly known projects in 4-H is livestock show. Participants will raise animals and then compete at various shows. Sophomore Riley Schmidt is no stranger to the competition. She has raised and shown turkeys since first grade. Schmidt says the project has helped to teach her work ethic and to see projects to the end.
    Another animal based activity is the dog project. It has classes around teaching your dog obedience and training it. It also has opportunities to attend and compete in dog shows. Sophomore Hewsten Lochte has been a part of the project, and got to compete at the Texas State Fair this year through 4-H.
    “I feel like a lot of people don’t understand that 4-H isn’t just animals and agriculture overall,” Ella Leroux said. “There’s something for everyone, and through it you’re going to learn something new that you’ll probably really value in the future.”
    Ella Leroux is a Sophomore and involved in various activities in 4-H, one of which being food challenge. Food challenge is a team-based competition in which you and your team are given an ingredient, and in 45 minutes you must prepare a dish incorporating the ingredient and create a presentation covering various aspects of the dish. Through the program, she’s learned about safety when cooking, nutrients, how to modify dishes, and she has expanded her cooking knowledge.
    “The best way to create great consumers is to have educated consumers,” Emily Grant said. “And creating those consumers through education with the program is a great way to do that.”
    4-H goes beyond all the activities and projects in this article and has an array of things to choose from and each can teach you many different things. Overall the program works to help build the future for youth and set them up for success.